We are in the midst of the holiday season with Thanksgiving behind us and Christmas and New Year’s on the way. It is a joyful time, but can also be quite stressful. Throughout this season it is common for people to worry that they may lose the momentum they gained with their workout plans and healthy lifestyles. Holiday parties, seasonal dishes, and drinks make it more challenging to resist the holiday fare and it seems like temptation is everywhere. Today we will be looking at 5 Ways to Stay Active During the Holidays.
Another common challenge is that many people travel for the holidays to meet with friends and family. This can make it challenging to maintain a consistent workout routine. A little planning can make a big difference in maintaining a healthy lifestyle throughout the holiday season.
5 Ways to Stay Active During the Holiday Season:
- Dress for Success- While you may be crunched for time, you can still find quick ways to be active. Make it a point to wear comfortable shoes that you can walk in or bring a workout bag with backup shoes. Park further away from the grocery store so that you can get more steps in or walk a lap around the mall before doing your shopping. Little actions add up!
- Think Outside the Gym- Just because you may not be able to make it to the gym does not mean that you have to miss a workout. Start your days with light stretching and body weight exercises like squats, jumping jacks, and planks. Utilize FREE online resources like Youtube to get your workout done in the comfort of your own home. Websites like Fitness Blender, Blogilates, and HasFit offer a wide variety of free home workouts.
- Set up a challenge– A little accountability goes a long ways. Find a 30 day yoga challenge or a squat challenge and invite your family and friends to join you. Or simplify and try to get the most steps. Most phones come with a step counter. Get creative and cheer each other on.
- Find workouts that don’t feel like work– Meet a friend or coworker for a power walk during your lunch hour. Go for a stroll with your dog or your neighbor’s dog. Go ballroom dancing. Try ice skating or rollerskating with friends. Take a Zumba class. Go for a nature walk or a hike. Find fun ways to move your body everyday.
- ‘Tis the Season to Spread Joy- The holiday season is full of community events and may places have a Turkey Trot run, Jingle Bell run, and a Polar Bear Plunge (for the New Year.) These races are usually 5k (3 miles) or 1 milers (with lots of walkers) and are not very competitive. It is a fun and festive way to stay active and spread joy. Also, going Christmas caroling, and window shopping through your town are fun ways to get out and get moving.
Here are a few more reminders:
- Stay Hydrated- It is easy to slack on water intake during the holidays because there are so many options. Water may not seem as desirable when there is hot chocolate, tea, coffee, and festive cocktails. Start your day with a glass of water then carry your water bottle with you and keep filling it. Staying hydrated will also help you to process the holiday goodies more efficiently.
- Advocate for your health- People often say “everything in moderation,” but the truth is that not everything is for everyone. Remember that you get to choose what you consume and enjoy. Be mindful of your needs and desires. Just because something is in front of you does not mean that you need it. Eat when you are hungry and make sure that you are consciously making the choice to enjoy your food. If you feel overly tempted then take some time to step away and go for a short walk.
- Find ways to stress less- The holiday season, without a doubt can be much more stressful than other times of the year. Stress increases cortisol which leads to inflammation in the body. Find ways to cut down on stress with meditation, yoga, and taking time for you.
Hopefully, now you feel well equipped with ways to stay active this holiday season. If you weren’t looking for 5 Ways to Stay Active During the Holidays, please have a look at some of our other articles below!.